Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chapter 1: My Cherie Amour, Le Subway


I'm one of those people who likes riding the subway. No, I shouldn't say likes, I should say loves...Like a dog loves humping inanimate objects-like a homely, single woman loves poorly written romantic fiction-like a politician loves a call girl...you get the idea. I assume people spend a fair amount of their lives commuting to and from work. I never dwelt on it; Always driving a car back and forth, with maybe an occasional bus ride. But all that changed when I moved to New York.

My first subway ride (circa late 1990's) was on the C train. My first apartment share was on 110th and CPW. Going on my first ride was like a first date. Nervous sweating, furtive eye movement, vascillating on just how much personal history revision I will be selling, and of course-planning a exit strategy in case he turns out to be a psycho or worse, boring. Here's the part where most women would liken a subway ride to a bad sexual experience: No one looks you in the eye, there's a lot of exaggerated shakin' going on, but the duration of the ride is short, anticlimactic, and utimately leaves you feeling complacent.

But what can I say, I find entertainment in unusual places. And invariably, atypical and unexpected things or people find me. So, I began to scribble down the best experiences. Now I have some greatest "hits". I'm going to imagine the Solid Gold dancers perform a dance reactment for each one. Yes, let's make it fancy.

From my notes...

1. I met a man on the Subway this morning who gave Satan a black eye. I was like, "How could you tell? Isn't Satan's skin red?" And he said, "I could tell man, his big eye was squinty after I hit him." Clearly he was not using a metaphor to describe his battle with temptation-he had a real life battle royale.

2. Thank you A train for not disappointing me on my birthday. Two things...1. I watched a man eat the biggest piece of cheese I've seen outside of a deli case (the size of a 1/2 quart of milk) and 2. The most creeptastic toupe. Who says an ill-fitting, greasy barbie-haired mass styled into a severe comb-over isn't sexy? Especially one that slips down a sweaty forehead. Hmm...It's almost like it was trying to escape.

3. When asked this morning to make room on the train (seat), a man replied, "I didn't touch the cocaine! If a man has a stiff tongue, he can go anywhere on a woman. Now get outta here!"

4. My name is Mr. Sutton and I am a local filmmaker. I make films. I turn regular people into tiny raindrops and make them fall into strange, dark places. It's political philosophy-good for the children. With your donation of $1, you can own my dvd. Peace. Yo bitch, you don't like movies?

5. The man standing next to me (on the train) kept saying "Mmm, mmm, mmm!" I suppose he could've been referring to a women, but something tells me he was having a sexy flashback involving food.

6. A very loud and enthusiastic religious zealot on the subway platform said he loves me...he really loves me...even though I'm going to Hell. How sweet is that?!

7. How lucky am I to have been serenaded by a man wearing what I can only describe as pantaloons. Yes, they're not just for Victorian ladies anymore.

8. I love sitting next to people on the subway who are penning their manifestos. This morning's lil' non-conformist was using blue ink on white dinner napkins. I managed to make out the words dictatorship and possibly collectivise...although that might be wishful thinking.

And that's what happens on the train when I pay attention.

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe you left off the "Hey Gandhi" lady, or the eye-patch wearing Michael Jackson impersonator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good catch! I completely forgot about those two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! Keep on keepin' on lady. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Jenny...I believe #4 happened to you also in seattle outside of the Cafe. Only the local film maker was a local music producer and the phrase was "I give it to you for $3 and you'll like it...what! You don't like music bitch!" Then Spiderman went running by claiming to have just climbed down from the Roof...aw, the old days!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes M...you are correct. But my favorite is the crazy guy who pushed you out of the way to get to me outside of that place on Capital Hill. Haha! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again...outside of the Met Cafe. Wait, I think it also happened outside of Moontemple...damn, I am so not fruit for the freaks!

    ReplyDelete