Monday, May 17, 2010

Chapter 12: Oh Yeaaahh!!

This week begins much like so many other weeks: I'm getting a cold. I used to be a fairly healthy person, until I had a child. Now I'm in a constant state of what I like to call "slightly sick". My body seems really confused. I never seem to completely recover. These little children- they are always contracting some drug-resistant, goopy virus that shacks up and won't leave for weeks. I just ate my fourth lozenge and now my tongue is numb. Stupid menthol.

Normally, this would put me in a foul mood. And it is true that in the past I have made the occasional semi-innocent person (who doesn't deserve getting a misguided rant aimed at them once in a while?) cry while being in this state. Whatever. They were ten years old at the time and I'm sure they've outgrown the traumatic effects by now. It's called Therapy, or in my case, "Mama's Get Out of Jail Free Card".

Seeing a smile on my face this morning, my weird fifty-two year old man-child neighbor who lives with his hoarder mother asked me, "Hey neighbor, why so jolly?" In my mind I thought, "Well, I just found a Valium when I was cleaning out the junk drawer and I can't wait to get home tonight so I can pop that sucker. Mmm, an evening with royalty...Prince Valium. In my confusion between reality and the self-created daydream of the moment, I answered, "I just love trash day." Sadly, I don't think I'll be invited over to his place to watch Terms of Endearment along with his eighty-five year old mom while squeezed in between towering piles of rubbish. Oh, and did I mention they have a washing machine that gets the only bedroom all to itself? Really. It's the strangest thing...

2 comments:

  1. Funny that this was your post today. I woke up thinking the same thing, about the sick kid thing, not the valium or the neighbor. I finally let myself give into getting the H1N1 vaccine while at the doc this afternoon as a step towards embracing my life long commitment to raising a germ sponge.
    BTW, Thera-flu and bourbon will keep warm in a thermos twice as long as tea or coffee. Perhaps it's a chemical reaction? Anyway, I thought you might want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had some Theraflu today! Pity I had no bourbon-that's gotta change. And that's not the Valium talking...

    ReplyDelete